Know how this chapter ends
and the next begins.
When negotiating, and before signing the financial settlement of a divorce, it is critical to understand the value of the assets and maintenance being negotiated on your behalf and what that will mean to you for the rest of your life. How long will the funds last? What lifestyle will it provide for you? What are the tax implications? How much will you need to fund a lifestyle and perhaps raise your family?
The divorce process is one of the most stressful life events a person can experience. Inherent to the process are emotional, mental, and financial costs. Having an experienced financial advisor to partner with throughout the process can often make a difference to the successful outcomes of financial settlements.
Jenifer provides financial advocacy and planning expertise to many divorcing women. Having experienced her own divorce, she knows that partnering with an advocate early in the process helps to ensure that clients operate from a position of strength and knowledge. Her clients will know where they stand and what settlement proposals mean for them, their children, and lifestyle now and into the future.
12 Questions to Consider Before Finalizing your Divorce
1. What will my lifestyle be after divorce?
2. Will I receive spousal maintenance?
3. How much child support will I receive?
4. What do I need for variable expenses for children? (braces, tuitions, activities, travel, etc.)
5. Which assets should I/will I get?
6. Will I have access to my spouse’s pension?
7. Should I keep our house?
8. How will we divide our investments?
9. Will I have to pay taxes? If so, how much?
10. What is a QDRO, and do I need one?
11. What should I do if my spouse is being dishonest or hiding assets?
12. What should I do if my spouse has been spending our marital assets during our separation period?
Planning includes collaborating with the divorce attorney and other appropriate advisors, budgeting guidance, proposed settlement analysis, insurance review, college and retirement planning. Fees start at $3500.